Friday, May 29, 2009

Becoming a Coffee Purist

Discovering Single Origin Coffees
What do I mean by single origin coffees? It is a coffee that comes from only one area, such as: Sumatra in Indonesia or Sierra Nevada in Colombia. They could mix the whole farm harvest together at an estate, but it would still be only one coffee from that area. The estate might call that an estate blend, but it would still be a single origin coffee.
I got hooked on single origin coffee with my first taste of a fresh roasted Papua New Guinea.
It was on a spring Saturday morning, I had prepared a pot of fresh roasted PNG, filled my stainless steel travel cup, added sugar & cream, I used a lot back then. Grabbed the morning paper and headed for the glider on the patio. The sun was warm, the grass was still damp, there was a nice breeze and our fountain was bubbling away. There wasn’t another scene to experience, I didn’t think so anyway.
I causally took my first sip, not really paying much attention. WOW! It stopped me dead in my tracks; it almost took my words away. That is saying something.
What I tasted was like someone had put spices of some sort and citrus fruit in my coffee. It wasn’t like a taste slap, but a more subtle thing. I set the paper aside sipped again to see if I was mistaken, no it was really there. I set everything down, went inside, found the cupping note, to read what I was supposed to taste. It was right there in black and white, I tasted just what they said I would taste. Those people are good!
I couldn’t wait to tell someone I was amazed. I hadn’t had many good coffee experiences. Coffee for me had just been a time I met friends at a local coffee shop, order something with a lot of sugar, flavoring and steamed milk. I didn’t really taste the coffee. Which isn’t always a bad thing; it was bitter and needed covered up. As I learned about coffee, I found out that the bitter isn’t there if it is slow roasted and fresh coffee. Fresh really does make a difference.
Now, a new world had just opened up for my mouth. PNG was my new favorite coffee, for that day anyway. Now I have so many favorite single origin coffees, I have trouble picking what to fix in the morning, afternoon and evening.
Because we own a roastery, we have the opportunity most coffee lovers don’t even think to dream about. We sometimes have as many as 16 single origins around. Right now my favorites are:
Kenya French Mission Bourbon, it is a very complex coffee with all of these characteristics over a couple of week’s period: berry, winey, coconut finish, lemon, Crème Brulee, tropical fruit, exotic spice, papaya, chocolate, very unique.
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere DP, light, fruity with nice acidity. You think of Michigan Blueberries.
Nicaragua Apanas FT is a clean and mellow coffee, with wonderfully delicate floral-nutty-malty aromatics, with a wonderful hint of cocoa.
I drink something different most morning but had Bolivia at least twice this week. Wouldn’t it be great if you could drink your morning coffee in a small café, on a side street in the country that it came from? That would really be an international coffee adventure.
There are some great coffees out there that lend themselves well to blending. But there is nothing like the pure clean taste of a fresh roasted organically grown single origin coffee. Become a Coffee Purist, try all the single origin coffees you can find, but if you are like me, your favorite will be ever changing.
Is there room in a coffee purist pantry for a blend? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment