Monday, August 10, 2009

French Press It!

Some writers would address this article to coffee fanatics and connoisseurs, but I am telling everyone, if you haven’t tried it, you have a new coffee experience waiting for you.

The French Press

There are two reasons I can come up with to use a French Press:

TASTE, what the French Press does to the coffee is unique to pressed coffees.

The press makes just enough coffee to fill my travel mug and I don’t have to worry that I forget to turn off the pot before I left.

Any coffee will work in a press; the grind and water are the most important FP Eileenelements. You will need to use a course grind (about like cornmeal) and of course good filtered water.

Well I guess you need to have a French Press. You can get a press at Wal-Mart, Target or Meijer. Name brand, off brand, I don’t believe it really matters that much. I do really love the looks of the Eileen by Bodum and it would make me feel very elegant to share a pot made in the Eileen, but I am not willing to pay the price. I will stick with my boring $20 press.

The whole process is this simple:

Grind two tablespoons of your favorite coffee (course grind)

Heat your filtered water to about 200°

Pour the hot water over the coffee in your press

Stir, smell, Ummmm! Put the lid/plunger on

Let stand 3-5 minutes (length determined by what you like.)

Give it a swirl and then plunge it

Drink it black or pour it over cream & sugar. (I am a cream & sugar person, which just about kills some coffee fanatics.) Oh well!

Short and simple. I could have given these instructions all wordy, but it will still come out the same. One more hint to make it better, pour it slow, drink it slow, relax, think good thoughts and Take Time to Taste the Coffee. Share a pot with your best friend or any friend; they will think they are your best friend after sharing this special coffee moment.

What is the best coffee to use in the French Press? Any coffee that you already love will do well in a press, but I have several that I am fond of right now: French Mission Bourbon, Colombia Serra Nevada, Nicaragua and Sumatra Half-Caf. Ask me in a few months and see if I still am hooked on those. Some press users prefer a dark roast and some prefer a medium roast, which is really just a taste preference. What I have found as a coffee roaster to be of the most importance is; high quality, fresh roasted coffees make the best cup no matter how you brew it. I look for a medium roast, full body with deep earthy, chocolate or nutty undertones, with just a hint of sweet fruitiness. A little of an Ethiopian coffee added will give you that fruit.

So if you have not already ran out and bought yourself a French Press, Press Pot, Coffee Press or Plunger go get one for your home and one for your office.

Create some fun tastes by adding other elements in the press like spices, cocoa and dried fruits. Make an extra cup and chill for an Iced Coffee later.

Why do you like to use a French Press?

Other articles you may want to read: Iced Coffee, the Better Way

1 comment:

  1. Q: Sugar,spices, cocoa and dried fruits?
    A: Things that should not be mentioned in an article about coffee.

    But you know me --coffee plain and black. It's okay that others might like it differently. I guess.

    French press does produce a very palatable cuppa. Nice article.

    ReplyDelete