Saturday, April 11, 2009

Chocolate, Coffee and Cookies


Last night we had a Coffee Tasting at our place. I decide to create a new cookie for the event. Since we all love coffee, chocolate and cookies I knew what I needed to do. So this was my thought pattern: I love cookies, I love chewy cookies, I love chocolate and I love coffee. I need a cookie that is all that and more.

The first thing I needed to do is find a chocolate cookie recipe, but most are not chewy, how do I make it chewy? Humm! Brown sugar, not white of course, oh ya, baking chocolate, not cocoa, baking soda, not baking powder and lots of real butter.
Now I am ready to start.
Here we go: Mix together in a large bowl: two eggs, one cup unsalted butter, one cup brown sugar, half cup white sugar, one teaspoon vanilla and three squares of melted baking chocolate, four would be even better.

Sift together two cups of unbleached wheat flour, half teaspoon baking soda and fourth teaspoon salt. Now I thought it needed more chocolate, desert IS all about the chocolate, so I added a fourth cup of cocoa powder. Then I remembered, what about the coffee? Which coffee would be the best choice? What grind should I use?

It was not a hard decision, we were introducing Kenya French Mission Bourbon at the tasting tonight, so that would be the perfect coffee and it would need to be a Turkish grind. Woe, careful now, how much, I went with a fourth of a cup. Next time I will use more, go for the gusto, big time. A cookie with a caffeine fix.

Get out your French Press, grind two heaping tablespoons of French Mission Bourbon, pour hot water over the grinds, let sit 3 minutes, stir, let sit one more minute, pour in your favorite coffee cup add sweetener and drink. Oh, get back on track.

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and add one cup of white chocolate chips. It really needs to be Ghirardelli, but that is just my opinion, you do whatever you think is right. Then eat a small hand full of the chips. That is just a bonus step.

Chill, measure heaping teaspoons onto a buttered baking sheet, bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Cool on a cookie rack. Then you know what to do next.

We had a good crowd at the tasting and the cookies were a hit. After much cookie conversation and eating of cookies, together we came up with some new ideas. Watch for the next generation of this cookie.

What could be better than coffee, chocolate and cookies accompanied by good conversation?
Share your ideas of other treats with coffee in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment