Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Coffee Cake

I remember a cake from when I was young. Chocolate and coffee, that is what I remember.

I remember, sitting at the kitchen table having a cup of coffee and a piece of homemade cake seemed to be such a grown up thing to get to be involved in. Mom and her friends would visit for hours while sharing in laughter, good conversation and what they called coffee cake.

I remember, the cake had shiny Carmel colored frosting that tasted of coffee. Mom would let me have sips of her coffee with cream and sugar, share in the joy of the cake and listen to them talk. It felt like I was getting to sneak a forbidden something. This is a fond memory that will last forever.

I still love a good piece of cake, and cream and sugar in my coffee. I still want my cake to have chocolate in it. But now I have discovered a fresh roasted cup of coffee makes it that much better.

No, I haven't found the recipe for that Saturday afternoon coffee cake. But I am still looking. Do you know of a chocolate cake with shiny Carmel colored frosting that taste of coffee?

This Saturday share a special cake, a cup of coffee and conversation with a friend. Let a daughter or grand daughter sneak a sip. Create a memory that will linger forever.

Do you have a coffee memory to share?

1 comment:

  1. Mom says, yes, she made 'coffee cake.' But it was eaten with coffee, not made with coffee.
    She's pleased that you have a fond memory of those times.

    David says, My memory is that my grandmother was the first to give me coffee. I was five years old. When I told this to my mother fifty years later, she said, Oh, my mother would never have done that! Wrong.

    ReplyDelete